CONTRACT POSTING: Part-time Contract Choral Director – Beacon Unitarian Church, New Westminster
Start Date: Sept 15, 2023
Application deadline: Aug 1, 2023
Beacon Unitarian is a progressive, multi-faith welcoming community with a congregational size of 75 people. Our choir is non-auditioned and pre-covid numbered 10–15 voices. For further information see www.beaconunitarian.org.
The choir practices weekly (evening to be determined) for two hours. We sing in church twice a month. On choir Sundays the choir will warm up from 9:40–10:10 am. Services are Sunday mornings 10:30–11:30/45 am.
We value a wide range of musical styles from secular to sacred, classical to contemporary. We value the
• ability to plan and deliver fun and engaging weekly rehearsals
• ability to work quickly in aural and written music traditions
• ability to plan and adapt rehearsals to cater for a variety of musical and vocal abilities
• knowledge of a variety of vocal styles and musical genres
Beacon Unitarian employs an accompanist who participates in rehearsals and performances.
The choir is a community building opportunity and is primarily understood as such.
• Working with the music committee and minister in choosing choir music appropriate to upcoming services and the Unitarian Universalist context. (Go to www.beaconunitarian.org to learn more.)
• Leading the choir at rehearsals and performances, encouraging the development of choral skills within a nurturing and supportive environment. Ability to produce rehearsal recordings of various choral parts for members would be an asset.
• Minimum five years’ experience as a choral director with an SATB choir. We especially value previous experience in the development and direction of a non-auditioned community-based choir.
• Minimum grade 8 piano or equivalent. Ability to play vocal parts if required.
This is a self-employed contract position with duties performed from September to May.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume by August 1st to: