CONTRACT POSTING: Part-time Contract Choral Director – Beacon Unitarian Church, New Westminster
Start Date: April 1, 2022
Application deadline: Feb 7, 2022
Beacon Unitarian is a progressive, multi-faith welcoming community with a congregational size of 75 people. Our choir is non-auditioned and numbers 10-15 voices. For further information see www.beaconunitarian.org
Once Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted, the choir intends to meet weekly (will ideally be Thursday evenings, although Fridays or Saturdays are possible if the candidate is unavailable on Thursdays). It’s a two-hour practice and we sing in church twice a month. On choir Sundays the choir will warm up from 9:40-10:10 am. Services are Sunday mornings 10:30-11:30/45 am. We value a wide range of musical styles from secular to sacred, classical to contemporary. Beacon Unitarian employs an accompanist who participates in rehearsals and performances.
The choir is a community building opportunity and is primarily understood as such.
- Working with the music committee and minister in choosing choir music appropriate to upcoming services and the Unitarian Universalist context. (Go to beaconunitarian.org to learn more.)
- Leading the choir at rehearsals and performances, encouraging the development of choral skills within a nurturing and supportive environment.
- Preparing rehearsal recordings of the various choral parts for choir members to review at home. The accompanist assists in the production of the practice recordings.
- Minimum five years’ experience as a choral director with an SATB choir. We especially value previous experience in the development and direction of a non-auditioned community-based choir.
- Familiarity with online technology for augmenting the music component of online services during Covid-19 restrictions would be an asset.
- Minimum grade 8 piano or equivalent. Ability to play vocal parts if required.
This is a self-employed contract position with duties performed from September to May.
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume by February 7th to: